Thursday, June 26, 2008

hike day 10: marcilhac-sur-cele

some days you so badly want to put your bag down that you know you can't...for it will be twice as heavy when you put it back on again. somehow my brain got stuck on a loop of that sarah silverman spoof "i'm f---ing matt damon3! thanks for that lisa!

1, 2, 3 spiders gliding across my cheeks...no this is not the intro to some freakazoid arachnophile story. that is typically the number of spikders that landed on my face before i got around to wiping them off. because this part of the path is so little traveled (no doubt due to its difficulty), it was like a cobwebs shooting gallery where they came at me in rapid-fire succession. itsy bitsy spider up the nostril spout...

in the end, i was rewarded with some spectacular vistas over saint-cirq-lapopie, a midieval throwback to the brutal days of the french revolution when "les oubliettes" were cast into the mountain dungeon that still towers over the village to this day. "les oubliettes" zere "the forgotten ones" or prisoners who were sent careening to their death into the dungeon pit full of guillotine-like blades. this little nugget was delivered with such good humour and reverence by a local that i gave him my best "eeee-yewww" look. to this, he responded "mais alors quoi? on est en france. on tranche les tetes des rois pour un rien! (translation: what?? this is france after all. even kings' heads will roll on a dime!" ahhhh ces francais. zut alors!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine breaking spider webs with my face... in fact, I think you're just testing to see if I am reading!

YIKES!!!!!!

Don't put the image of your face covered in spiders in my head... ohhhh too late

Kelster