Thursday, July 17, 2008

final tally

after 30 days on the road and nearly 1000 km under my belt, i can honestly say i´ve seen some wonderful things and met some truly outstanding people. yet again, the camino has distinguished itself as a unique way to take a time-out and think about what is important in my life. no way can you listen to some of your fellow pilgrims´stories without feeling compassion and humility, never mind a whole lot of luck as well.

put in a whack of kilometres under a blazing sun so was very happy to reward myself with a yummy paella and a few beers in pamplona´s buzzing plaza. as i revelled in all the architecture and imagined it morphing over the centuries, i performed a little mental review, picking out those moments that stuck out as my faves. it wasn´t long before i realized that while the landscapes were gorgeous, my highest highs almost unanymously consisted of people interaction. sometimes with strangers, other times with new friends. again, a reality check that connections are what matter most to me.

instantly popping to mind among my faves were the roll-on-the-floor laugh fest with sebastien and christian, dinner with the three french women who had each lost a son, the crossing from france into spain over the mountains, bidding adieu to friends in roncesvalles and feeling momentarily sad only to hear patrick call my name, arranging patrick´s name in pebbles on a medieval bridge knowing he would discover it...so many warm memories.

but enough with the philosophizing...barcie awaits - the town that never sleeps. who knows what kind of trouble i´ll sniff out there?!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Helene:

It has been wonderful to read about your second Camino journey. Thanks so much for keeping this blog. Your writing has stirred so many wonderful memories. I will walk the Camino again, as you no doubt will too. One of the many gifts of the Camino is that it is always there waiting for us, when we are ready to return to it.

xo Debi

Anonymous said...

Thank you too; I read and reread your writing and enjoy your "good" language my abilities in english are not sufficient to compete so I just say:it is wonderful.
Yes reading makes me return on the camino too.Love MCL

Dano said...

wonderful, you did it, must see pix upon your return to the homeland.
miss ya - enjoy
dano

Anonymous said...

Helster, I too appreciate your words of inner observations and outer visions of beauty and connection. Your blog has often put me on your path with you. Can't wait to see you upon your return. Kelster