Saturday, July 19, 2008

the ocean

eventually my wandering footsteps traced a path to the ocean. as part of my shopping spree the other day, i picked up some boardie shorts and swim top. it took only a glance around for me to realize that i shouldn´t have bothered with the top. most of the women on the beach were topless anyway. when in rome...

ahhhh, that salt water. felt really good. thanks to the strong wind, there was a virtual traffic jam of speedy wind surfers out on the water zipping to and fro. the beach was wriggling with action too. i´d forgotten it was saturday. how great that i rarely know what day it is!

eventually, i kept walking along the promenade by the ocean, turning north a few hours later to return home. en route, i passed by gaudi´s sagrada familia to which he devoted 40 years of his life, thus the moniker ¨God´s architect¨. the ongoing works are likely to extend until year 2025
as the only existing copy of his last recorded blue prints were destroyed by the anarchists in 1938 at the height of Franco's invasion of Barcelona, long after gaudi´s death in 1926 at age 74. thus modern architects are working blindly, guessing at what gaudi might have intended.

was ravenous by the time i reached my pad so i celebrated my arrival in barcie by making myself a mediteranean dinner at a mediteranean hour! potato tortilla with a beer chaser. now that smells like spain!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That idea of you wandering along in barcelona and having your private retreat appeals to me : I may do the same one day, as since a while, I have been dreaming of being on my own somewhere I can speak the language of the locals, so perhaps Italy; I'll soon go on the exchange site. Enjoy!!!!MCL