Thursday, July 17, 2008

follow your destiny

no, this isn´t another one of my wooey-wooey tangents. crossing the mountain range to pamplona, i found myself gazing in wonder at the superb view from alto de perdon: to the south, the barren sierra guarded by armies of wind turbines and to the north, the ancient city of pamplona framed in the pyrenees.

at the summit is a column of wind turbines that trigger your involuntary duck reflex with each revolution. also, a collection of galvanized metal sculptures depict the many types of pilgrims that have crossed this mountain pass over the centuries. a smiling man approached me to ask if i could snap a pic of him and his friend with the sculptures as a backdrop. my homing instinct kicked in when i detected a quebec accent.

it seems they were film-makers creating a documentary on the camino for francophile quebec audiences. they were very excited to hear i´d completed the classic camino frances last year and was just wrapping up my le puy camino. with so many stories in my grab bag, how could i refuse when they asked if they could include me in the film! that was my second day in a row of andy warhol style 3 minutes of fame. the stars must be in uranus...

No comments: